- +1 Production
- +1 Housing
- +1 Citizen slot
- +1 Great General point per turn
- +25% combat experience for all melee, ranged, anti-cavalry, siege units and Hetairoi trained in this city
- Gain Science equal to 25% of the unit's cost when a non-civilian unit is created in this city
- Strategic Resource stockpiles increased by 10
- Cannot be built if Stable has already been built in this district
The Basilikoi Paides provides all the same benefits as a Barracks, but it also affects Hetairoi and yields Science equal to 25% of a unit's Production cost when it is trained. That's already better than the Science on offer from Campus Research Grants, aside from the lack of Great Scientist points. Still, while district projects have relatively few ways to boost Production towards them (the main one being Hong Kong's Suzerainty bonus), there are quite a lot of powerful boosts to military unit production. Here are some key examples:
- The God of the Forge Pantheon belief offers +25% Production towards Ancient and Classical Era units.
- The Great Admirals Themistocles and Chester Nimitz grant +20% Production towards naval ranged and naval raider units respectively when retired.
- The Statue of Zeus offers 50% more Production towards anti-cavalry units.
- Agoge, Feudal Contract, Grande Armée and Military First all offer +50% Production towards melee, ranged and anti-cavalry units of specific Eras.
- Strategic Air Force offers +50% Production towards all air units.
- Maritime Industries, Press Gangs and International Waters all offer +100% Production towards all naval units except Aircraft Carriers. Letters of Marque offers an additional +100% Production towards naval raider units.
- Patriotic War offers +100% Production towards the Supply Convoy, Observation Balloon, Anti-Air Gun, Drone, and Mobile SAM.
- Militaristic city-states grant Production bonuses towards units in certain buildings.
- The Warlord's Throne grants +20% Production towards all military units for 5 turns after capturing an enemy city.
- The To Arms! Dedication grants +15% Production towards all military units during the Age.
- Adopting Fascism grants +50% Production towards all military units.
For example, consider training a Quadrireme in a city with a Basilikoi Paides. If you slot Maritime Industries, grab God of the Forge, and recruit Themistocles, you'll have an additive 145% Production bonus toward it, which equates to 145% more Science for your Production. This Quadrireme will net you 73.5 Science - almost half of a Classical Era technology, and 61.25 Science per 100 Production, a little more than 4 times more than Campus Research Grants!
This offers Macedon an odd but powerful tool granting potentially tremendous Science output without too much investment in scientific infrastructure at all. The same Production focus that this strategy requires is, incidentally, also needed to get a quick Spaceport and rapidly finish your space missions to win a Science Victory. Or you could use your advanced technology to dominate even faster- who could blame you?
The basilikoi paides (roughly “royal page school”) was a long-held tradition in Macedon, but Philip II transformed it into a powerful tool to advance the needs of both king and state. Macedon’s noble sons, as well as those the king deemed worthy, were admitted to the basilikoi paides—a prestigious manner of dealing with royal hostages. Philip spared no expense in hiring the finest tutors, including renowned philosopher Aristotle, who likened the basilikoi paides to a “school for generals.”
Indeed, beyond the arts of war and administration, the young pages were taught to honor and obey the king, to protect him with their lives, and to serve Macedon’s interests above all others. This helped forge national bonds that superseded familial ties, in turn reducing chances of rebellion among the nobility. Graduates were afforded a position of prominence within the hetairoi (Companion cavalry). Alexander continued the tradition after his father’s death.