- Common traits:
- +25% Great People generation in this City.
- +2 Happiness with Peace Gardens Religious Belief
- Special traits:
The Candi, unlike the Garden which it replaces, does not require fresh water and therefore can be built in any city. The Indonesians, unlike other civilizations, are friendly to all religions, not only their own - the more religions represented in a city with a Candi, the more Faith they gain.
Candi refers to an Indonesian stone structure based on the Hindu single shrine, with a pyramidal tower above it and an ornamented portico, built primarily between the 8th and 15th centuries. Incorporating mandala designs, the candi was designed to mimic Meru, the holy mountain that was the abode of the gods. The Javanese, notably the Khmer, developed a somewhat different architecture for their candi, making use of pillars around a central solid mass, but retaining the basic form. The largest, and most famous, candi is Borobudur, the 9th century Buddhist temple with seven terraces.
- The building in the background of Gajah Mada's animated diplomatic screen is a candi. This candi bears a strong resemblance to Wringin Lawang, a Majapahit-era Gapuro.
- Coincidentally, the icon of the in-game building Candi also uses the picture of Wringin Lawang.
- Borobudur, a new wonder in Brave New World, is actually also a candi. There is no specialized in-game connection to Indonesia, though.