Sid Meier's Civilization VI: Gathering Storm is the second expansion pack released for Civilization VI, following Civilization VI: Rise and Fall. Gathering Storm was announced in a Firaxis livestream on November 20, 2018. It was released for Windows on February 14, 2019, for iOS on November 20, 2019, and for the Nintendo Switch, PS4, and Xbox One on November 22, 2019.
Full list of features, as taken from the Steam announcement:
- Environmental effects: Volcanoes, storms (blizzards, sand storms, tornadoes, hurricanes), climate change, floods, and droughts.
- Power and consumable resources: Strategic resources play an additional role in Gathering Storm. These resources are now consumed in power plants to generate Power for your cities. Initially you'll be powering your most advanced buildings by burning carbon-based resources like Coal and Oil, but renewable energy sources also unlock as you progress to current-day technologies. Your choices about resource usage will directly affect the world's temperature and can cause melting ice caps and rising sea levels.
- Engineering projects: Shape the world around your empire to overcome unfavorable land conditions by making improvements like canals, dams, tunnels and railroads. When settling cities, consider the flood risk to coastal lowland areas, but keep in mind that in the late-game, new technologies like Flood Barriers can be used to protect these tiles.
- World Congress: Make your voice heard among the other leaders of the world. Earn Diplomatic Favor through Alliances, influencing city-states, competing in World Games, and more. Use Diplomatic Favor to extract promises from other leaders, vote on Resolutions, call a Special Session to address an emergency, and increase the weight of your votes in your quest to achieve the new Diplomatic Victory.
- 21st Century technologies & civics: A new era has been added to the Technology and Civics trees. Combat new environmental effects with speculative ideas such as relocating your population out to seasteads and developing technologies to recapture carbon emissions.
- New leaders and civs: Nine new leaders from eight new civilizations are introduced. Each brings unique bonuses and gameplay, as well as a total of nine unique units, four unique buildings, three unique improvements, two unique districts and one unique governor.
- New scenarios:
- The Black Death: The Black Death ravaged Europe and western Asia in the mid-14th century, killing a greater share of the population than any other event in world history. The pandemic killed millions, ruined economies, upended political dynasties and transformed the face of the Western world. Your task is to lead your nation through the calamity: keep your population alive, your economy strong, and your faith unshaken amidst a world of terror and desperation.
- War Machine: At the outset of WWI, the German Imperial Army had a daring plan: invade neutral Belgium and then rush the French heartland before they could mobilize to resist. If successful, the German forces would capture Paris within a month and end their resistance forever. In counter, the French command prepared Plan 17, an all-out onslaught designed to meet and stop a German offensive. When war was declared, both armies swung into motion and set up one of the most incredible and shocking military campaigns in world history. In this scenario, players take the side of one of these two great powers at this same precipice. As Germany, your task is to capture Paris. As France, your task is to prevent its capture. The clock is ticking, and the enemy is moving. Advance!
- More new content: Seven new world wonders, seven natural wonders, 18 new units, 15 new improvements, 9 new buildings, 5 new districts, 2 new city sets, 9 new techs and 10 new civics have been added.
- Some wonders include:
- Great Bath, an ancient-era floodplains wonder that grants bonus amenities and housing, as well as immunity to flood damage in city tiles, and faith where flood damage was prevented.
- Országház, an industrial-era river-tile wonder that provides culture and diplomatic favour each turn when suzerain of a city state.
- Machu Picchu, which provides gold, as well as adjacency bonuses for commercial, industrial, and theater districts next to mountains.
- Golden Gate Bridge, which is a modern-era wonder that must be built between two coasts, boosts tourism from national parks and tile improvements, as well as granting amenities and tile appeal.
- Panama Canal, which, in addition to functioning as a canal, provides bonus gold for trade units that pass through.
- University of Sankore, a desert / desert hills medieval wonder that adds faith and science to domestic trade routes, and trade routes from other civilizations provide extra science and gold.
- Meenakshi Temple, which grants free Gurus and gives them the ability to boost movement and combat of adjacent religious units.
- Some wonders include:
- Improved gameplay systems: The Espionage system has been enhanced with new options, the Culture and Science Victories have been updated, new Historic Moments have been added, and additional improvements have been made to other existing systems. In addition, Warmonger score has been replaced with Grievances.
|Icon||Civilization||Leader(s)||Civilization Ability||Leader Ability||Unique Unit||Unique Infrastructure|
|Hungarian||Matthias Corvinus||Pearl of the Danube||Raven King||Huszár||Thermal Bath|
Starts the game with Sailing and Shipbuilding unlocked and the ability to enter Ocean tiles. Embarked units gain +5 Combat Strength and +2 Movement. Unimproved Woods and Rainforest provide +1 Production, increased to +2 with Conservation. Fishing Boats provide +1 Food. Building a Fishing Boat triggers a Culture Bomb, claiming surrounding tiles. Resources cannot be harvested. Great Writers cannot be earned.
|Canadian||Wilfrid Laurier||Four Faces of Peace||The Last Best West
Can build Farms on Tundra tiles, and on Tundra Hills tiles with Civil Engineering. Purchasing Snow, Snow Hills, Tundra Hills, and Tundra tiles is 50% cheaper. +100% extraction rate of accumulated resources, Mines and Lumber Mills receive 1 extra Production and Camps 1 extra Food on Snow, Snow Hills, Tundra Hills, and Tundra tiles.
|Mountie||Ice Hockey Rink|
|Incan||Pachacuti||Mit'a||Qhapaq Ñan||Warak'aq||Terrace Farm|
|Mali||Mansa Musa||Songs of the Jeli||Sahel Merchants||Mandekalu Cavalry||Suguba|
|Swedish||Kristina||Nobel Prize||Minerva of the North||Carolean||Open-Air Museum|
|Ottoman||Suleiman||Great Turkish Bombard||Grand Vizier||Barbary Corsair||Grand Bazaar|
|Phoenician||Dido||Mediterranean Colonies||Founder of Carthage||Bireme||Cothon|
|English||Eleanor of Aquitaine||Workshop of the World
Iron and Coal Mines accumulate +1 more resource per turn. +100% Production towards Military Engineers. Military Engineers gain +2 charges. Buildings that provide additional yields when powered receive +4 of their respective yields. +20% Production towards Industrial Zone buildings. Harbor buildings grant +10 Strategic Resource stockpiles.
|Court of Love||Sea Dog||Royal Navy Dockyard|
|French||Grand Tour||Garde Impériale||Château|
New Global Content Edit
|Courser||Light Cavalry||Medieval||Fast Movement Light Cavalry unit that upgrades from Horseman and to Cavalry|
|Cuirassier||Heavy Cavalry||Industrial||Fast Movement Heavy Cavalry unit that upgrades from Knight and to Tank|
|Giant Death Robot||GDR||Information||Late game super-unit that can unlock more power by researching Future Era Technologies|
|Rock Band||Civilian||Atomic||Late game civilian unit that can spread Tourism to other civilizations|
|Skirmisher||Recon||Medieval||Recon unit that has 1 Ranged attack, upgrades from Scout and to Ranger|
|Golden Gate Bridge||Modern|
|University of Sankore||Medieval|
|Chocolate Hills||1 Food, 2 Production, and 1 Science on wonder tiles||4 tiles, passable|
|Gobustan||3 Culture and 1 Production on wonder tiles||3 tiles, passable|
|Ik-Kil||50% Production when building wonders and districts next to it||1 tile, impassable||Rainforest|
|Mato Tipila||+1 Faith and +1 Production to adjacent tiles||1 tile, impassable|
|Mount Vesuvius||+1 Production to adjacent tiles||1 tile, impassable||Volcano|
|Pamukkale||+1 Amenity, or +2 Amenities if the wonder is adjacent to an Entertainment Complex, also provides major a Adjacency bonus to Campus, Theatre Square, and Commercial Hub districts and Fresh Water||2 tiles, impassable|
|Sahara el Beyda||1 Science, 1 Culture, and 4 Gold on wonder tiles||4 tiles, passable||Desert|
|Dam||Prevent Floods||Hydroelectric Dam|
|Industrial Zone(New buildings, not district)||Production and Power||Coal Power Plant Oil Power Plant|
|City Center(New buildings, not district)||Flood Barrier|
|Tile Improvement||Terrain||Yield Modifier and Notes|
|Geothermal Plant||Geothermal Fissure||+2 Production,|
|Mountain Tunnel||Mountain||Allows units to move into it and exit through another Mountain Tunnel at the cost of 2 Movement. Built by Military Engineer.
Cannot be pillaged or removed.
|Offshore Wind Farm||Lake, Coast, Ocean||+1 Production,|
|Seastead||Lake, Coast, Ocean||+2 Food|
|Ski Resort||Mountain||Provides Tourism equal to the tile's Appeal.|
|Solar Farm||Flat land||+1 Production,|
|Wind Farm||Hills||+1 Production,|
- Announcement from The Official Civilization VI Site
- Sid Meier's Civilization VI: Gathering Storm on Steam
- The in-depth announcement at Steam: Civilization VI: Gathering Storm Announced, Releases on PC Feb 14
|Civilization VI |
|Rise and Fall • Gathering Storm|
Added in the Rise and Fall expansion pack.
|Civ II||Conflicts in Civilization • Fantastic Worlds • Test of Time|
|Civ III||Play the World • Conquests|
|Civ IV||Warlords • Beyond the Sword • Colonization (Total conversion)|
|Civ V||Gods & Kings • Brave New World|
|Beyond Earth||Rising Tide|
|Civ VI||Rise and Fall • Gathering Storm|
|Official Spinoffs||Sid Meier's Colonization • Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (Alien Crossfire) • Civilization Revolution • CivWorld • Civilization Revolution 2 • Sid Meier's Starships|
|Other games:||Freeciv • Imperialism • Civilization: Call to Power • Call to Power II • FreeCol • CivCity: Rome • C-evo • NewCol|
|Comparisons||Comparison between Civilization games • Civilizations|