Back to Civilization VI Updates
The May 2018 Update (version 188.8.131.527), also known as the Spring 2018 Update for Civilization VI: Rise and Fall was released on May 10, 2018. The update includes a number of balance changes, AI adjustments, multiplayer changes, and bug fixes.
The following is a complete list of change notes.
Additions[edit | edit source]
- Joint Wars/Third Party War Update
- Players can now ask other players or AI to join wars they are already in.
- Trade screen allows Casus Belli to be chosen when declaring a Joint War.
- Joint War now requires one party to have denounced the enemy for 5 turns.
- Leader screen makes it clear that war declaration is part of a joint war.
- Adding 12 new Historic Moments, focused on mid to late game.
- First Shipwreck Excavated (+2 Era score)
- World's First Shipwreck Excavated (+3 Era score)
- First Aerodrome Fully Developed with all buildings (+3 Era score)
- First Encampment Fully Developed with all buildings (+3 Era score)
- First Entertainment Complex Fully Developed with all buildings (+3 Era score)
- First Water Park Fully Developed with all buildings (+3 Era score)
- First City with 25 Population (+1 Era score)
- World's First City with 25 Population (+2 Era score)
- First Seaside Resort (+2 Era score)
- World's First Seaside Resort (+3 Era score)
- National Park Founded (+3 Era score)
- World's First National Park Founded (+4 Era score)
- Game Summary Screen
- Added 3 new graphs for Rise and Fall games; Era Score, Total Governors, and Total Governor Titles.
Balance[edit | edit source]
- Government Balance Pass – Rise & Fall
- Government Balance Pass – Base Game
- Fascism: Combat Strength from 4 to 5.
- Policy Rebalance:
- Military Research gives +2 Science from Military Academies, Seaports, and Renaissance Walls (was +1 and did not include Renaissance Walls).
- Public Transport gives 100 Gold per Appeal when replacing a Farm with a Neighborhood (was 50).
- Ecommerce gives +2 Production and +5 Gold for all your Trade Routes (was +5 and +10 but only for international Trade Routes).
- Civ Balance:
- Victoria’s Pax Britannica ability now additionally awards a free melee class unit when constructing a Royal Navy Dockyard in a city founded on a foreign continent.
- Lautaro's unique ability Swift Hawk has been updated to have an additional effect: Pillaging an enemy city plot now causes that city to lose 5 loyalty
- Rebalancing Seondeok's Hwarang ability. Governors established in a city provide +3% Culture and Science for each Promotion they have earned, including their first (was +10% Culture and Science for any Governor regardless of Promotions).
- Norwegian Berserker - Production cost reduced from 180 to 160. Combat Strength buff when attacking increased from +7 to +10. Combat Strength de-buff when defending reduced from -7 to -5.
- Japanese Samurai – Production cost reduced from 180 to 160. Combat Strength increased from 45 to 48.
- Georgian Khevsur – Production cost reduced from 180 to 160. Combat Strength increased from 40 to 45.
- Made it so when somebody wins the game in the Information Era, it reset all players to be in a Normal Age and take away all Dedication bonuses. This puts everyone on a level playing field for "One More Turn" mode. (If somebody wins in an earlier era, continue the progression of eras and Ages as normal.)
- Rebalancing Era Score of historic moments related to late game city projects:
- Monasticism dark policy now provides +75% Science in cities with Holy Sites (was +100%).
- Map Generation:
- Religion can now affect the Loyalty of a city. For players who founded a religion, cities get +3 Loyalty for following that religion, but -3 Loyalty per turn if following another player's religion.
- Updated Foreign Ministry (Government building): Unit combat bonus now applies to City-state units even when they are not levied.
- Number of envoys received from Liberating City-States is boosted as you progress through the game.
- Commandos’ Melee unit promotion now grants +1 movement
Moddability Updates[edit | edit source]
- Governors and Governor Promotions now use 'Promotion Sets' which allows more than one governor type to be associated with a promotion and vice versa
Bug Fixes[edit | edit source]
- Only show the "Capital Lost" when a player loses their original capital city (was also showing when a player lost their new capital city that also happened to be the original capital city of a different player).
- Fixed for Priority Target highlighting invalid hexes.
- Districts that cannot be repaired because the player is missing their pre-requisite Tech or Civic (ex. in a conquered city) will now say this in the city production UI.
- For Great People that activate over luxury resources, a tile with a district belonging to another player is no longer treated as a valid activation tile (and it will not end up highlighted)
- Frederick Barbarossa's UA no longer gives a combat bonus against Free Cities.
- Liberating a city will now make that city immune against your Loyalty pressure, as was the design intent.
- Correctly display when a Wonder needs an adjacent district. Clarified that the adjacent district requirement also must be a district owned by this city.
- Fixed the combined arms boost by changing it to be “Have 3 Armies or Armadas.”
- Fixed Victoria's Pax Britannica ability in the base game.
- Enforced that cities cannot be founded on tiles with districts. It was possible before with the relaxed minimum city distance present in island situations.
- Fixed an edge case where the historic moments for creating a Trading Post in another civ could be repeated and exploited
- Made it so Abu al-Qasim al-Zahrawi only heals land units.
- Fixed Bugs related to expelling units out of a City's or Civilization's borders when applicable. Units should no longer be expelled from a Free City when it flips due to loyalty unless the city flips to a major civ and rules require it.
- Fixed an issue with not counting armadas and Fleets for the Triple Seven achievement.
- Ensure proper display of National Parks after a save is loaded.
- Don't show Paradrop unit action if unit cannot move.
- Fixed a bug preventing the Hetairoi Great General bonus from being applied when in the same hex as a general.
- Fixed a bug preventing the Persian Immortal from using melee as its default attack.
- Fixed a bug where Renaissance walls and Georgian unique walls were not being affected by the Limes Policy.
- Addressed audio issues with large and mod-expanded map sizes
Text fixes[edit | edit source]
- Corrected the bonus text for the Zoning Commissioner Governor promotion (it said 30% but it is actually 20%.)
- Updated Rise and Fall Agenda descriptions to include what that leader dislikes.
- Clarified Kilwa's description to show that it increases the type bonus from city states instead of the yield.
- Removed a redundant font icon in the name of a city-state quest.
- Updated Civilopedia text for Anarchy, since Anarchy does not affect Era Score.
- Clarified text for Georgia's Unique Ability.
- Clarified text for first sea/air unit Historic Moments.
- Added information to technology descriptions about what resources are unlocked for harvesting (some were missing).
- Document that Patron Saint Governor Promotion also helps Warrior Monks.
- Removed "doubling" and "tripling" in description of effects for Tourism. Use +100% or +200% instead.
- Added Housing info to Polder description
- Fixed the Fascism combat bonus description being incorrect in base game.
- Updated wording for Religious Alliance to indicate that it refers to cities dominated by the player's religion.
- Changed some text that was incorrectly referring to "Identity" instead of "Loyalty.”
Graphic Fixes[edit | edit source]
- Reduced the amount of snow on the Arena building so that it doesn't blow out as much at night.
- Don't play Paradrop animation if the destination tile is not visible to the current observer.
AI[edit | edit source]
- AI respects and uses new rules for joint wars and third party wars
- AI evaluates joint and third party wars based on the chosen casus belli, and applies casus belli to its own offers
- In trading cities, AI considers resources and great works it will gain or lose in the deal
- As part of a city attack, will not pillage a separate city's districts
- AI will prioritize a city over units if it can capture or nearly capture the city
- Fixed issues with AI strategies, including yield priorities and era strategies (as reported on community forums, thanks!).
- Fixed government bonus analysis problem. AI will no longer focus entirely on monarchy.
- Fixed issues regarding embarking units near enemy warships, evaluation now takes proper account of that.
- AI can modify a deal with just Gold when asked what would you give.
- Germany (or anyone favoring minor civ war) won't care about their relationship to a minor civ suzerain unless it's them.
- Give Greece and Pericles some preferences for Culture and envoys.
- Fix round off problem that was giving low threat values in duel maps (or with only 2 Civs left).
- Free cities units that are not involved in attacking other units will stay within their own territory.
- Improved city defense unit management.
Multiplayer[edit | edit source]
- Auto End Turn is now disabled for the remainder of a player's turn if they unready their turn.
- Fixed multiplayer stall related to players disconnecting while the host was loading into a game.
- Fixed zombie connection issue that was preventing some players from joining multiplayer games after a previous join.
- Players should not be able to unready their turns after their turn timer elapses.
- Dead civilizations are no longer selectable after loading a save in multiplayer.
- Multiplayer quick saves now go in the proper save folder for the current game mode.
- Fixed default multiplayer handicap for third player in the Jadwiga's Legacy scenario.
UI[edit | edit source]
- Changes to the way Governor Title notifications are handled.
- The Governor Title notifications turn blocking no longer requires players to use the Governor Title to be dismissed.
- Appoint Governor Notification will not appear if the player does not yet have a city to assign one.
- Updated the window style of the Dedication screen and Era Rollover screen, emphasizing Era / Age types.
- Added Food needed for population growth in City Details Panel.
- Made sure we only show the Emergency row and tab if there are emergencies involving both the selected player and the local player.
- Fixed an issue where players could have duplicate city names, all names have to be unique now.
- Espionage mission history for failed missions will now show loot information if provided in the mission info
- Tech Tree - Ensure we update the live data for a tech when it's boosted.
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
|Civilization VI Updates |
|Fall 2016 • Winter 2016 • February 2017 • March 2017 • Summer 2017 • Fall 2017 • February 7, 2018 • February 13, 2018 • March 2018 • May 2018 • July 2018 • February 2019 • April 2019 • June 2019 • September 2019 • May 2020 • June 2020 • July 2020 • August 2020 • September 2020 • October 2020 • November 2020 • December 2020 • January 2021 • February 2021 • March 2021 • April 2021|