Each Civilization game features playable historic nations, empires, and cultural groups known as civilizations (or "civs" for short). The number of playable civs differs with each game.
Table of Civilizations by game appearanceEdit
- Main article: List of civilizations
This table only includes the civilizations in the retail versions of these games. This list does not include civilizations found in the various Scenarios and Mods found in the series. Most Civilization games let players rename the civilizations that they play as.
Number of Civilizations Per GameEdit
|Civs Added||Total Civs||Civs Introduced to series|
|Conflicts in Civilization||?|
|Test of Time||?|
|Play The World||8|
|Beyond the Sword||10|
|Gods & Kings||9|
|Brave New World||9|
|Civilization Revolution 2||Original||17||17||None|
|Rise & Fall||8|
|New Frontier Pass||8|
|DLC (Non New Frontier Pass)||7|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Play the World expansion pack
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 Civilization VI DLC
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Austria is a hidden civ in Civilization III because of hardcoded civilizations limit in the game. Another civilization must be replaced with Austria to play as them. The first game Austria is an official Civilization is Civilization V: Gods and Kings.
- ↑ Preorder bonus DLC. Given for free for all players 90 days after game is released so it is considered a part of the original civilizations.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 5.7 5.8 5.9 Beyond the Sword expansion pack
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 Civilization V DLC
- ↑ While there is no Babylonian Civilization in Civilization VI, there is a Babylon City State.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.5 8.6 Conquests expansion pack
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 Introduced in New Frontier Pass
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4 10.5 Warlords expansion pack
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Only on SNES version of the game. Replaces Zulus
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 Not all Civilizations in Civilization 6 have been released
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 Japanese civilization replaces Zulu civilization in the original Civilization. Japanese are found in every Civilization game since the original game.
Civilization: Beyond EarthEdit
- Main article: List of Sponsors (CivBE)
The sponsors in Beyond Earth are not the same as the historically based civilizations.
- Main article: List of civilizations (Freeciv)
The Freeciv civilizations were far too numerous to put on this list. Each civilization plays the same way.
- Main article: List of civilizations (Civ4Col)
European Civilizations (In all versions of Colonization)
Native "Indian" tribes
Early versions have just the same as Col1, but recent versions have an option of adding:
- Main article: Factions (SMAC)
- See also: Leaders (Starships)
- Main article: CivWorld#Civilizations
- Main article: Imperialism
- Great Britain
- Ottoman Empire