- "Never again can I gaze upon the beauty spots of the Earth and enjoy them as being the finest thing I have ever seen. Crater Lake is above them all."
– Jack London
Crater Lake is a single-tile passable Natural Wonder in Civilization VI. Crater Lake appears as a Lake on Plains or Tundra tiles. Its tile provides 5 Faith and 1 Science, instead of the normal yields from lake tiles. Crater Lake increases the Appeal of adjacent tiles by +2.
Crater Lake's tile has a yield of 5 Faith and 1 Science. Since faith is often hard to generate early in the game, founding a city next to the lake can provide a vital head start with founding an early Pantheon.
Like ordinary lake tiles, the yields of Crater Lake's tile can be increased using certain bonuses. If the wonder tile is owned by a city with a Lighthouse and Seaport, the yield of its tile will increase by 1 Food and 2 Gold respectively. Owning the Huey Teocalli wonder will also increase the Lake's yields by 1 Food and 1 Production. The Suzerain bonus of the Auckland city-state further increases the tile yields by 1 Production, and by an additional 1 Production once the Industrial Era has been reached.
Unfortunately, as with all natural wonders, the Crater Lake tile cannot be developed or improved. Crater Lake can interfere with district or farm adjacency bonuses, however it is small enough that this is usually not a major issue.
Crater Lake, called at times “Deep Blue Lake”, and “Majesty Lake,” is a sacred site to local Klamath groups, who historically attributed the lake to a battle between the sky god Skell and the underworld god Llao. Formed some 7700 years ago when the stratovolcano Mazama in the North American Cascade Range collapsed, Crater Lake is a deep caldera lake. Since no rivers flow into or out of the lake, the fresh waters there are the result of rain and snow; scientists estimate that the water is completely replaced only every 250 years. Not the best spot to refill a canteen when hiking the glorious Cascade trails.
- The maximum possible yield from Crater Lake's tile is 5 Faith, 2 Food, 2 Gold, 1 Science, and 3 Production. This is possible if the tile is in a city with a Seaport, if the player owns the Huey Teocalli wonder, if the player is the Suzerain of Auckland, and the game is in the Industrial Era or later.
- Crater Lake is the ninth deepest lake in the world, at 594 meters deep.
- The island in the middle of the lake is known as Wizard Island.
- Crater Lake is the smallest passable natural wonder in the game.