In a Despotism, the ruler has absolute control over his or her subjects, and this control is usually enforced by the military. This system has a tendency to minimize individual freedom, and reduce the efficiency of production efforts.
- Up to three military units in each city institute "martial law". Each of these units makes one unhappy citizen content.
Corruption and Waste
- Because of Despotism's high rate of corruption, it is almost always an inferior form of government. Try to switch to a Monarchy as soon as possible.
- Under a Despotism, Tax/Luxury/Science rates cannot be set higher than 60%.
- Any terrain square that ordinarily produces three or more of any resource (Food, Shields, or Trade) produces one less.
The default title of a despotic ruler is "emperor" (male) or "empress" (female).
- Transcribed directly from Civilopedia
|Civilization II Governments|