An era is a period of time in Civilization V and its expansions. Civilizations can progress to a new era either by researching all technologies from the current era, or by researching one technology from the next era.
In Civilization V: Brave New World, the World Congress progresses through the eras as well, advancing when at least half the civilizations in play reach a new era or one civilization reaches the era beyond it.
The eras in vanilla Civilization V are as follows:
- The Ancient Era is the first time period of the game (roughly 4000 BCE until 500 BCE in real life).
- The Classical Era is the second time period of the game (roughly 499 BCE until 800 AD).
- The Medieval Era is the third time period of the game (years 801-1399).
- The Renaissance Era is the fourth time period of the game (1400-1799).
- The Industrial Era is the fifth time period of the game. In this era, the appearance of Workers, Caravans, Cargo Ships, and roads changes (1800-1899).
- The Modern Era is the sixth time period of the game (1900-1945).
- The Future Era is the seventh and final time period of the game.
In Civilization V: Gods & Kings, the Future Era is removed and replaced by two new eras:
- The Atomic Era is the seventh time period of the game (1946-1991).
- The Information Era is the eighth and final time period of the game (1992-present).
|Civilization V |
|Gods & Kings • Brave New World|