Back to the list of districts
- Receives Major bonus (+2) to Faith yield for each adjacent Natural Wonder, a Standard bonus (+1) to Faith yield for each adjacent Mountain tile, and Minor bonus (+½) to Faith for each adjacent district tile and each adjacent unimproved Woods tile.
- +1 Great Prophet point per turn.
- A religion can be founded in the Holy Site.
- Religious units can be purchased in a city with a Holy Site, spawning in the Holy Site or if that's unavailable in the City Center (stacking limits permitting).
- Religious units heal in a Holy Site district and in tiles adjacent to it.
- Specialists add +2 Faith each.
The following buildings can be constructed in a Holy Site:
- Worship building (requires the appropriate Worship Belief and a Temple), and can be bought with Faith:
The Holy Site is one of the first districts available, along with the Campus. It is indispensable if you intend to found a Religion! The Holy Site is the only early game source of Great Prophet points (along with the Revelation Policy), which you need to earn a Great Prophet. Next, a Religion can only be Founded in a Holy Site! The alternative way to Found a Religion - building the Stonehenge Wonder - may not be viable in most cases, as it requires access to Stone and racing against other players to complete it.
But the Holy Site remains important throughout the game. First, it is a major source of Faith; second, it is the place where you built the Special Religious buildings from Worship Beliefs; third, it is the place where you can Purchase your Religious Units. And it also provides bonuses during Theological combat for these units. And it also Heals them! All of which means that any player who considers using Religion in the game should build Holy Site Districts.
The best place for this District is right next to Natural Wonders. Come on, you can sacrifice a single tile with bonus yields for a Holy Site! The next best place is between Mountains, or in the middle of Woods. In the late game you even have the option to Plant Woods with your Builders to provide additional bonuses to your Holy Sites. If you intend to use this, however, remember to leave some free space for the Woods.
Remember, only one worship building can be built in one particular Holy Site, and you cannot change your choice once it is built even there is a religious change of hands in the city afterwards, so make wise choices.
In god-driven civilizations, it is not unknown for religious "districts" to evolve in some cities, where all the shrines, temples, monasteries, altars, churches huddle together. Often, these seem to spring up on a holy site, the place of some miracle, vision, or revelation. The holiest site in Islam, centered on the Kaaba, is one such. Jerusalem is an epicenter for holy sites. Then there's the Roman Catholic Vatican, a whole holy city built in the midst of Rome. And folk still make pilgrimages to such sites, such as the Hajj to Mecca or the Sikhs' daily prayer to visit the Golden Temple at Amritsar or the fervent wish to see the Temple Mount by the Chosen People.