- Lower Production cost (27 vs. 54)
- +1 Housing
- 25% faster training of Corps and Armies
- Allows Corps and Armies to be built without the Military Academy building
- Buildings in the Ikanda provide +2 Gold and +1 Science
- +1 Great General point per turn
- Acquires Outer Defenses and Ranged Strike along with the City Center once Walls have been built
- Blocks movement of foreign units to this tile, unless the district is pillaged
- Spawns all land military units the city produces or purchases
- Provides XP bonus to units built in it once buildings have been added to the district
- Specialists provide +1 Production and 2 Gold each
- Gives its parent city the ability to build land units with only 1 count of the relative Strategic Resource ( only)
- Increases Strategic Resource stockpiles by 10 for each building inside
- Cannot be built next to the City Center
Buildings[edit | edit source]
The following buildings can be constructed in an Ikanda:
- Barracks (mutually exclusive with Stable)
- Stable (mutually exclusive with Barracks)
- Military Academy
Projects[edit | edit source]
Strategy[edit | edit source]
For Shaka, the name of the game is to build the world's largest and most powerful infantry force, and the Ikanda helps him immensely in achieving this goal. With it, the Zulus can train Corps and Armies as soon as they discover the requisite civics (Mercenaries and Nationalism, respectively), and without needing to build Military Academies. The ability to create Corps in the Medieval Era gives Shaka and the Zulus an early military advantage over their neighbors, which becomes even greater when they go to war and gain a new Corps each time they capture a city.
Additionally, thanks to the Ikanda being a unique District, the Zulus can construct it in half the time, meaning their first Ikanda can be completed much earlier than the full-price Encampments of other civilizations. Thanks to this, the Zulus will often be the first civilization in the game to begin earning Great General points and possibly the first to earn a Great General. Though the Zulus power spike occurs during the Medieval Era (much later than how early your Ikanda allows you to generate Great Generals), building Ikandas early still helps deny enemy civilizations of Great Generals to defend and helps tremendously toward earning the Great Generals that buff up your Impi later on.
Civilopedia entry[edit | edit source]
The ikanda (also known as a “kraal” or “umuzi”) were self-sufficient, fortified Zulu homesteads. A double palisade protected its residents—the inner wall kept livestock in and the outer wall kept interlopers out. Ikanda were ideally placed uphill for reasons both practical and strategic: rainwater flowed downhill to clean the ikanda, while opponents were forced to attack an elevated position.
Shaka’s revolutionary changes to the military capitalized on the traditional Zulu age-grade system. Young men of the same age lived, trained, and fought together in regiments, relying on the ikanda’s bounty to provide their food, arms, and armor.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Related achievements[edit | edit source]
|Civilization VI Districts |
Aerodrome • Aqueduct (Bath) • Campus (Observatory1 • Seowon ) • Canal • City Center • Commercial Hub (Suguba ) • Dam • Diplomatic Quarter1 • Encampment (Ikanda • Thành1) • Entertainment Complex (Street Carnival • Hippodrome1) • Government Plaza • Harbor (Cothon • Royal Navy Dockyard) • Holy Site (Lavra) • Industrial Zone (Hansa • Oppidum1) • Neighborhood (Mbanza) • Preserve1 • Spaceport • Theater Square (Acropolis) • Walled Quarter2 • Water Park (Copacabana )
|1 Requires a DLC • 2 The Black Death scenario only|