- Common traits:
- +15 XP for all military units produced in this city.
- +2 Happiness with Militarism Autocracy tenet
- Special traits:
In addition to training your units, the Krepost increases the city's rate of cultural border growth by 33 percent, allowing fast territorial expansion for the Russian player early on. It's quite worthwhile to construct these useful buildings in all Russian cities, but especially in cities on the civilization's frontiers.
"Krepost" is the Russian word for "fortress." For much of its history Russia was an expansionist state, pushing its borders further east across the vast steppes, into Siberia and beyond. When entering a new terrain, the Russians often would construct a "krepost" to protect their troops and to house governmental and religious buildings. Depending upon the local situation and availability of materials, a krepost could be a temporary wooden fort or a more permanent and imposing stone defensive work. In many ways the krepost is similar in form and function to the ubiquitous forts that the Romans built in their newly conquered lands.
- The icon is based on the Holy Trinity St. Nicholas Chapel at Fort Ross, California.
- Due to the fact that the word "krepost" means "fortress", that is, any defensive fortifications, in the Russian localization a unique building is called a "ostrog" (острог) (special defensive fortifications that built by the colonialists of Siberia). It is not clear why Firaxis did not immediately name the unique building "ostrog".
- Many Russian cities were built as fortresses or ostrogs, such as Moscow, Tyumen, Yakutsk, Tula, Smolensk, Tsaritsyn (today Volgograd) and Tobolsk.
- One of the synonyms for the word "fortress" ("krepost" or крепость) in Russian is "kremlin" (кремль) and in Kievan Rus fortresses are called "kremlins".
|Civilization V Buildings |
|Airport • Amphitheater • Aqueduct • Armory • Arsenal • Bank (Hanse • Satrap's Court) • Barracks (Ikanda • Krepost) • Bomb Shelter • Broadcast Tower • Caravansary • Castle (Mughal Fort) • Cathedral • Circus • Colosseum • Constabulary • Courthouse • Factory • Forge • Garden (Candi ) • Granary • Harbor • Hospital • Hotel • Hydro Plant • Library (Paper Maker • Royal Library ) • Lighthouse • Market (Bazaar) • Medical Lab • Military Academy • Military Base • Mint • Monastery • Monument (Stele ) • Mosque • Museum • Nuclear Plant • Observatory • Opera House (Ceilidh Hall ) • Pagoda • Police Station • Public School • Recycling Center • Research Lab • Seaport • Shrine (Pyramid ) • Solar Plant • Spaceship Factory • Stable (Ducal Stable ) • Stadium • Stock Exchange • Stone Works • Temple (Burial Tomb • Mud Pyramid Mosque) • Theatre • University (Wat) • Walls (Walls of Babylon) • Water Mill (Floating Gardens) • Windmill (Coffee House ) • Workshop (Longhouse) • Zoo|