In the beginning, legends of flying men soared. And today, you are on the brink of transforming those legends into a reality. With flight and new forms of communication you can create a small and intimate world. But at what cost? Our competing ideas of how to govern and how to live threaten to bring conflict on a global scale. You must choose your own path through this rising din of ideological oratory.
The Modern Era brings an entire new domain into the battle strategies: the sky! This, along with the continued improvement of gunpowder-based weapons and the development of Urban Defenses, shifts warfare from city-based to area-based. Every commander now has to be aware of long-range weapons which can hit their armies from afar and not even give them the chance to retaliate.
But much more importantly, the Modern Era brings Ideology, and the Tier 3 forms of Government based on it! And these new forms, besides strong advancement for your civilization, bring with them ideological war - the desire to start battle not for rational things like resources or land, but for lofty ideals and dubious systems of value. Just another convenient cause to use your new weapons. Of course, many new Social Policies also appear to go along with these Ideologies and boost greatly various aspects of your empire.
But there are also many developments which have nothing to do with warfare: the final development of city infrastructure, with more and more Tier 3 buildings requiring the new Power resource. More modern, less polluting Power Plants and the first type of Renewable Energy sources will power up this development and launch your empire into the modern times. Mass media will entertain your people while working, and Seaside resorts and National Parks will give them places to rest from work and connect with nature. And also to bring many more Tourists to any civilization aspiring towards a Cultural victory!
Modern Era start Edit
- When starting a game in the Modern Era, players receive three Settlers, three Rangers, two Field Cannons, 800 Faith (), 485 Gold, 13 Envoys and 6 Diplomatic Victory points ().
- Capital has 10 Population. All cities founded after the Capital have 4 Population.
- Each city has a Monument, a Granary, Ancient Walls, Medieval Walls, Shrine and Temple in Holy Site, Library and University in Campus, Arena in Entertainment Complex, Lighthouse in Harbor, Market in Commercial Hub, Amphitheater in Theater Square and Workshop in Industrial Zone.
- Players receive a Pikeman (a Pike and Shot in Rise and Fall) and a Builder in each city founded by one of their starting Settlers (and a Trader in the first two).
- Boosted Civics: Mobilization.
- Boosted Technologies: Flight, Replaceable Parts, Steel, Refining ().
- The game starts at Turn 316/500 (1890 AD) on Standard speed.
|Sanitation||Complete a Research Agreement.||Research Lab, AT Crew|
|Steel, Rifling||Extract an Artifact.||Tank, Oil Well|
|Steam Power||Own 3 Privateers.||Power Plant, Seaport, Submarine, U-Boat|
|Industrialization, Scientific Theory||Build an Industrial era or later Wonder.||Hangar, Aerodrome, Airstrip, Biplane, Observation Balloon|
|Steam Power, Flight||Build a National Park.||Broadcast Center, Film Studio, Seaside Resort|
Reveals Aluminum resource.
|Economics||Own 3 Musketman.||Digger, Infantry|
|Rifling||Build 2 Banks||Stock Exchange, Big Ben|
- Naval Ranged
- Naval Raider
- Heavy Cavalry
- Light Cavalry
Districts and BuildingsEdit
- Harbor/ Royal Navy Dockyard/ Cothon
- Industrial Zone/ Hansa
- Theater Square/ Acropolis
- Campus/ Seowon/ Observatory
- Government Plaza
- Neighborhood/ Mbanza
Added in the Rise and Fall expansion pack.
Added in the Gathering Storm expansion pack.
|Civilization VI |
|Rise and Fall • Gathering Storm • New Frontier Pass|