- Yields: Nothing
- Movement needed: 3 Movement MPs to cross
- Defense provided: +5 bonus against melee attacks from the other side
- Additional traits:
- Provides Fresh Water to nearby tiles
- Can provide Fresh Water via an Aqueduct
- Cities near it can construct the Water Mill building
- The Lumber Mill Improvement receives a +1 Production bonus if next to a River
- +1 Appeal to nearby tiles
- Provides +2 Adjacency bonus to Commercial Hub Districts
- River Goddess Pantheon: +1 Amenities Amenity for cities which have a Holy Site District near a River.
Rivers are invaluable for city settlement, as they supply fresh water and enable the Water Mill (and various wonders) to be built. With it, any city may get a good start at growing and producing as early as the Ancient Era! An Aqueduct built next to it will also supply a nearby city with Fresh Water for Housing Housing purposes.
But rivers do more than that. They provide a bulwark against invasions for any commander that knows how to use them; they turn Deserts into paradise by enabling the Floodplains feature; elsewhere they allow improved farming with the Civil Engineering Civic; they improve commerce thanks to the additional transport opportunities they provide for merchants.
Finally, you may use a River as means of finding the nearest sea in your early exploration. Every river flows from its source to either another river, or to a large body of water - just follow the flow direction.