Heroes & Legends game mode
- +2 Faith (boosted by Simultaneum Policy Card).
- +1 Citizen slot.
- +1 Great Prophet point per turn.
- +2 Faith with each Religious City-States with 3 Envoy (Turns into +1 Faith with each Religious City-States with 1 Envoy in Ethiopia Pack).
- Allows purchasing of Missionaries in this city.
- Heroes claimed or recalled in this city have 10% longer Lifespan.
As one of the earliest available buildings, the Shrine is indispensable for players who wish to found a Religion. It adds another Great Prophet point, and it is the only other source of these points besides the Holy Site itself until you gain access to a more advanced government (when you can use the Revelation Policy).
Further along, it allows the purchasing of the first religious unit in the game, the Missionary, which allows you to spread your religion.
To appease a god (or goddess), put up a shrine. Whether simple – a big rock in a forest clearing next to a stream – or elaborate – a marble edifice of soaring arches and fluted columns – the purpose is the same: someplace for the faithful to make pilgrimages to and offerings at. Inevitably the site where some prophet (or perhaps just a saint) performed a miracle, had a revelation, spoke to the masses, or ascended to some form of heaven, civilization’s landscape is peppered with shrines. These holy places are the stuff of nearly every religion, but are usually torn down when a new religion takes over the locale, and a new god must be appeased.